Language: Italian (Italiano)
Soffro, lontan lontano
Le nebbie sonnolente
Salgono dal tacente
Alto gracchiando, i corvi,
Fidati all'ali nere,
Traversan le brughiere
Dell'aere ai morsi crudi
Gli addolorati tronchi
Offron, pregando, i bronchi nudi.
Come ho freddo!
Pel grigio ciel sospinto
Un gemito destinto
E mi ripete: Vieni;
È buia la vallata.
O triste, o disamata
Translation(s): ENG FRE SPA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Thomas A. Gregg) , "Mists", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Brumes", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Xavier Rivera) , "Brumas", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-08-13 22:22:35
Line count: 20
Word count: 60
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the Italian (Italiano)
I suffer. Far, far away
the sleeping mists
rise from the silent
Shrilling cawing, the crows,
trusting their black wings
cross the heath
To the raw weathering of the air
the sorrowful tree trunks
offer, praying, their bare branches,
How cold am I!
I am alone;
driven through the gray sky
a wail of extinction
And repeats to me: come,
the valley is dark.
Oh sad, oh unloved one,
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Thomas A. Gregg, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Ada Negri (1870 - 1945) FRE SPA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Ottorino Respighi. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-03-06.
Last modified: 2018-03-06 16:20:26
Line count: 20
Word count: 74