Language: German (Deutsch)
So nahe lieget ihr beisammen
In eurem Garten, stille Schar.
Von eures Lebens grellen Flammen
Loht keine mehr. Das Glockenläuten
Will euch nicht Leid noch Lust bedeuten,
Noch Anklang dessen, was einst war.
Euch ist genug, dass in den Lüften
Hoch über euch der Flieder blüht
Und Sommernachts mit warmen Düften
Ob eurer Stätte festlich glüht.
Was noch in euch als Kraft, Begierde
Und unerlöster Drang gelebt,
Ist nun erlöst und frei und schwebt
Im Duft dahin als Spiel und Zierde.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 154.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Village churchyard", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Cimetière de village", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-26.
Last modified: 2018-03-22 23:00:37
Line count: 14
Word count: 81
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
You lie so close together
In your garden, you silent throng.
None of the lurid flames of your life
Blazes any longer. The bells’ tolling
Means neither sorrow nor joy to you,
Nor an echo of that which once was.
For you it is enough that in the breezes
High above you the lilac blooms
And on summer nights with warm scents
Glows festively above your resting place.
What yet lived within you as power, desire,
And unredeemed urging,
Is now redeemed and free and wafts
Away in scent as play and adornment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Dorfkirchhof", written 1908 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Heinrich Pestalozzi, Immo Schneider. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-03-10.
Last modified: 2018-05-02 00:47:04
Line count: 14
Word count: 93