You can help us modernize! The present website has been online for a very long time and we want to bring it up to date. As of May 6, we are $2,380 away from our goal of $15,000 to fund the project. The fully redesigned site will be better for mobile, easier to read and navigate, and ready for the next decade. Please give today
to join dozens of other supporters in making this important overhaul possible!
Much of our material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material
Printing texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information
, contact us at the following address:
Please read the instructions below the translations before writing!
In your e-mail, always include the names of the translators if you wish to reprint something.
Author: Arthur Westbrook
Texts set to music as art song or choral works [warning - not necessarily comprehensive]
[x] indicates a placeholder for a text that is not yet in the database
* indicates that a text cannot (yet?) be displayed on this site because of its copyright status.
Special notes: All titles and first lines are included in this index, including those used by composers.
Titles used by the text author appear in boldface. First lines appear in italics.
A language code in a blue rectangle like ENG indicates that a translation to that language is available.
A grey rectangle like FRE indicates a particular translation (usually one set to music) exists but isn't yet available.
- Across the plain to the chapel FRE (The ancestral tomb)
- Eyes so dark, on me reposing [possibly misattributed] CAT DUT FRE - Charles Edward Ives (On me reposing)
- I know not what it betokens DUT HUN POR FRE FIN SPA GRE (The Loreley)
- In love's delight, in yearning pain FRE (In love's delight)
- In love's delight (In love's delight, in yearning pain) FRE
- In northern land a pine-tree (In northern land a pine-tree) NOR CAT DUT RUS ITA FRE UKR
- In northern land a pine-tree NOR CAT DUT RUS ITA FRE UKR (In northern land a pine-tree)
- In the Rhine, that noble river (In the Rhine, that noble river) CAT DUT ITA FRE HEB FIN SPA GRE
- In the Rhine, that noble river CAT DUT ITA FRE HEB FIN SPA GRE (In the Rhine, that noble river)
- O'er the treetops, all is CAT DUT IRI RUS HUN ITA FRE FIN SPA GRE POL (Wanderer's night song)
- Once I met three sturdy gypsies POR ITA FRE (The three gypsies)
- On me reposing (Eyes so dark, on me reposing) - Charles Edward Ives [possibly misattributed] CAT DUT FRE
- The ancestral tomb (Across the plain to the chapel) FRE
- The herdsman (Ye meadows, farewell) CAT DUT ITA FRE SPA
- The King of Thule (There was a King in Thule) CAT DUT IRI POR ITA FRE GER FRE
- The Loreley (I know not what it betokens) DUT HUN POR FRE FIN SPA GRE
- There was a King in Thule CAT DUT IRI POR ITA FRE GER FRE (The King of Thule)
- The three gypsies (Once I met three sturdy gypsies) POR ITA FRE
- Wanderer's night song (O'er the treetops, all is) CAT DUT IRI RUS HUN ITA FRE FIN SPA GRE POL
- Ye meadows, farewell CAT DUT ITA FRE SPA (The herdsman)
Last update: 2017-05-01 12:57:18