You can help us modernize! The present website has been online for a very long time and we want to bring it up to date. As of May 6, we are $2,380 away from our goal of $15,000 to fund the project. The fully redesigned site will be better for mobile, easier to read and navigate, and ready for the next decade. Please give today
to join dozens of other supporters in making this important overhaul possible!
Much of our material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material
Printing texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information
, contact us at the following address:
Please read the instructions below the translations before writing!
In your e-mail, always include the names of the translators if you wish to reprint something.
Author: Thomas Bateson (c1570 - c1630)
Texts set to music as art song or choral works [warning - not necessarily comprehensive]
[x] indicates a placeholder for a text that is not yet in the database
* indicates that a text cannot (yet?) be displayed on this site because of its copyright status.
Special notes: All titles and first lines are included in this index, including those used by composers.
Titles used by the text author appear in boldface. First lines appear in italics.
A language code in a blue rectangle like ENG indicates that a translation to that language is available.
A grey rectangle like FRE indicates a particular translation (usually one set to music) exists but isn't yet available.
- Morning call (Sister awake! Close not your eyes) - Hans Gál [possibly misattributed]
- Sister awake! Close not your eyes [possibly misattributed] - Hans Gál (Morning call)
- Sister awake! close not your eyes! (Sister awake! Close not your eyes) - Thomas Bateson [possibly misattributed]
- Sister awake! Close not your eyes [possibly misattributed] - Thomas Bateson (Sister awake! close not your eyes!)
- Sister awake! Close not your eyes [possibly misattributed] - Mervyn, Lord Horder, the Second Baron of Ashford, Erkki Gustaf Melartin, Gardner Read, Robert Still (Sister, awake!)
- Sister, awake! (Sister awake! Close not your eyes) - Mervyn, Lord Horder, the Second Baron of Ashford, Erkki Gustaf Melartin, Gardner Read, Robert Still [possibly misattributed]
Last update: 2018-11-05 12:13:11