Language: German (Deutsch)
Die Allerseelenglocken klingen,
Hinaus zu Gräbern wallt die Welt;
Leis regt die Trauer ihre Schwingen,
Ihr ist die Liebe zugesellt.
Denkst, Mensch, du derer, die dir fehlen,
O denk' auch dessen, was dir blieb --
Leis laß dich mahnen Allerseelen:
Die dir noch leben, hab' sie lieb!
List of language codes
Confirmed with Fliegende Blätter, CXI. Band (1899), Nro. 2831, page 212.
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Berta Bock (1857 - 1945), "Allerseelen", op. 7 (Vier Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Klavier) no. 4, published c1910 [voice and piano], Leipzig: Fritz Schuberth jr. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "All Souls' Day", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2019-04-30 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-05-04 23:52:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 46
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
All Souls' Day
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The bells of All Souls' Day are ringing,
The world makes it way out to the graves;
Sorrow quietly moves its wings,
Love has aligned itself with [sorrow].
Human, if you think of those whom you miss,
Oh think also of that which you still have --
Let All Souls' Day quietly admonish you:
Those who are still alive, love them!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Otto Kimmig (1858 - 1913), as Peter Sirius, "Allerseelen"
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Berta Bock. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2019-05-11 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-05-11 02:59:31
Line count: 8
Word count: 60