Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz...
Language: German (Deutsch)
Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz gethan,
Der aber traf.
Du schläfst, du harter, unbarmherz'ger Mann,
Es blicket die Verlass'ne vor sich hin,
Die Welt ist leer.
Geliebet hab' ich und gelebt, ich bin
Nicht lebend mehr.
Ich zieh' mich in mein Inn'res still zurück,
Der Schleier fällt,
Da hab' ich dich und mein [vervang'nes]1 Glück,
Du meine Welt!
Translation(s): CHI DAN DUT ENG ENG FRE HEB ITA NOR RUS
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Adelbert von Chamisso, Neunzehnte Auflage (19th edition), Berlin, Weidmannsche Buchhandlung, 1869, pages 15-16.
Note: modernized spelling would change "gethan" to "getan".
1 Loewe, Schumann: "verlornes"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Nicolas Bacri (b. 1961), "Nun hast du mir", op. 126a no. 3 (2012), first performed 2013 [voice and piano], from Drei romantische Liebesgesänge, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", op. 60 no. 8 (1836), from Frauenliebe, Liederkranz von Chamisso, no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", op. 42 no. 8 (1840), published 1843 [voice and piano], from Frauenliebe und -Leben, no. 8, Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", op. 14 no. 8 (1936). [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Mei Foong Ang) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DAN Danish (Dansk) (Maryanna Morthensen) , "Nu har du såret mig for første gang", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nu heb je mij voor 't eerst verdriet gedaan", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Daniel Platt) , "Now thou hast given me, for the first time, pain", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Là, pour la première fois, tu m'as fait mal", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) (Tsippora Samberg) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Ora per la prima volta mi hai fatto male", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- RUS Russian (Русский) (Natalia Vyshynska) , "Нынче ты впервые причинил мне боль", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-01-08 12:12:31
Line count: 12
Word count: 62
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Now you’ve hurt me for the first time
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Now you’ve hurt me for the first time -
but this blow struck deep.
You sleep, you hard, cruel man,
the sleep of death.
The abandoned one stares ahead,
the world is completely empty.
I’ve loved and lived;
I’m no longer living.
I quietly withdraw into my inner self;
the veil falls.
Only there do I have you and my lost happiness,
you who were my world!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee. Contact:
<kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2014-02-17 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:29
Line count: 12
Word count: 67