Language: German (Deutsch)
Mein Schatz ist nicht da,
Ist weit überm See,
Und so oft ich dran denk',
Tut mir's Herze so weh!
Schön blau ist der See,
Und mein Herz tut mir weh,
Und mein Herz wird nicht g'sund,
Bis mein Schatz wiederkommt.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE IRI ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Sehnsucht", op. 14 (Acht Lieder und Romanzen) no. 8 (1858), published 1861 [voice and piano], Winterthur, Rieter-Biedermann [
text verified 1 time]
- by Alfred Kohl (1843 - 1887), "Sehnsucht", op. 5 (Sieben zweistimmigen Lieder mit Pianoforte ad lib.) no. 2, published 1885 [vocal duet with piano ad libitum], Leipzig, Eulenburg [
text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Longing", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Struggimento", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nostalgie", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Verlangen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Tnúthán", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:53
Line count: 8
Word count: 41
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Dutch (Nederlands) after the German (Deutsch)
Mijn schat is niet hier,
Is ver over zee,
En wanneer ik daaraan1 denk,
Voelt mijn hart zoveel wee!
Mooi blauw is de zee,
En mijn hart is vol wee,
En het wordt niet gezond,
Tot mijn schat hier weerkomt.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Daaraan: bij Brahms te zingen op twee achtste noten
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2014 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , found in a slightly different form in Deutsche Volkslieder (Kretzschmer, Zuccalmaglio: Berlin, 1838-40), under the heading ENG FRE IRI ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Johannes Brahms, Alfred Kohl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2014-03-25.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:31
Line count: 8
Word count: 40