Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ein Hügel war's, wo ich im Gras zur Sommerzeit am liebsten sass als frohes Kind allein; weit um mich her die grüne Au und über mir nur tiefes Blau und goldner Sonnenschein. Da schwärmten Falter mir vorbei, und fleiss'ge Bienen summten frei mir um das blonde Haar. Goldkäfer stellten oft sich ein, und Grillen musizierten fein zum Tanz der Mückenschar. Und wenn der Tag zu Rüste ging, wie selig da mein Auge hing an Wolken, goldumsäumt! O, das war tiefe Poesie, - so lebensvolle, wie ich nie - mir je als Mann erträumt.
- by Julius Karl Reinhold Sturm (1816 - 1896) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Aus der Kindheit", 1879, published 2010 [voice and piano], rediscovered by Christian Wolf of the Richard-Strauss-Institut, Garmisch; Schott; one of three songs given to Sophie Dietz in April 1879 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "From childhood", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "De l'enfance", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Dall'infanzia", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , "De la infancia", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Amelia Maria Imbarrato
Text added to the website: 2010-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-10-17 17:38:22
Line count: 18
Word count: 93
It was a hilltop where in the grass In summertime I most loved to sit As a happy child, alone; All around me there was the green meadow And above me only deep blue And golden sunshine. Butterflies swarmed past me there, And industrious bees hummed freely About my blond hair. Rose chafers often appeared, And crickets provided fine music For the dance of the cloud of mosquitoes. And when the close of day drew near How blissfully my eye then dwelt Upon gold-rimmed clouds! Oh, that was deep poetry [back then], - So full of life; as a man I have never been able to imagine the like.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2014-04-30 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:33
Line count: 18
Word count: 109