The Song of Songs
Language: English after the Latin
The flow'rs appear on the earth;
the time of the singing of birds is come,
and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
I will rise now,
and go about the city in the streets,
and in the broad ways
I will seek him whom my soul loveth;
I sought him, but I found him not.
The watchmen that go about the city found me:
to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth?
It was but a little that I passed from them,
but I found him, whom my soul loveth;
I held him, and would not let him go,
until I had brought him into my mother's house,
and into the chamber of her that conceived me.
I charge you, o ye daughters of Jerusalem,
by the roes, and by the hinds of the field,
that ye stir not up, not awake my love,
till he please.
My beloved is mine, and I am his:
he feedeth among the lilies.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vivian Fine (1913 - 2000), "The Song of Songs", 1991, first performed 1991 [soprano, piano, violin, oboe, bassoon, and percussion], from Songs of Love and War, no. 3. [
text verified 1 time]
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in Latin, original text by Bible or other Sacred Texts , no title, from Song of Songs of Solomon (Canticum Canticorum Salomonis); or Canticle of Canticles, no. 2 RUS ENG FRE by Giorgio Federico Ghedini, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina.
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , title unknown RUS FRE by Elaine Fine.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), adapted by by Lev Aleksandrovich Mey (1822 - 1862) , no title, from Еврейские песни (Jevrejskije pesni) = Jewish songs, no. 3 [an adaptation] ENG GER FRE by Modest Petrovich Musorgsky, Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov.
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , title unknown, from The Song of Songs: 2:10-13 [an adaptation] RUS FRE by Matthew King.
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , no title, The Song of Solomon, Chapter 2 RUS FRE by John La Montaine, David Sisco, Henry Purcell, Howard Skempton.
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , title unknown [an adaptation] RUS FRE by Elaine Fine.
Text added to the website: 2014-08-21.
Last modified: 2014-08-21 15:53:35
Line count: 21
Word count: 167
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works