Language: German (Deutsch)
Weinet, sanfte Mädchen -- -- -- -- --!
[Solange]1 Ihr weinet, tragt Ihr im traurigen Herzen die Welt!
Weinet, sanfte Mädchen -- -- --.
Haltet vor das bebende Antlitz die Hände -- -- --
Wenn ihr sie lächelnd senkt,
Ist es zu Ende!
Translation(s): ENG NOR
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Peter Altenberg, „Traurigkeit“ in Jugend, Münchner Illustrierte Wochenschrift, Nr. 24 , 1900, page 403.
1 Berg: "So lang"
Submitted by Virginia Knight and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Tristhet", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Sadness", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-12-10 10:35:27
Line count: 6
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Weep, gentle maidens -- -- -- -- --!
As long as you weep, you carry the world within your sad heart!
Weep, gentle maidens -- -- --.
Conceal your trembling face with your hands -- -- --
When you lower them smilingly,
It is over!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Engländer (1859 - 1919), as Peter Altenberg, "Traurigkeit" NOR
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Alban Maria Johannes Berg. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2014-12-10 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-12-10 10:34:26
Line count: 6
Word count: 36