Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Pleasure it is To hear, iwis, The Birdès sing. The deer in the dale, The sheep in the vale, The corn springing. God’s purveyance For sustenance, It is for man. Then we always To give him praise, And thank him than, And thank him than.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by William Cornish (d. 1523) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Spring carol", op. 28 no. 9 (1942) [treble chorus, solo voices, and harp], from A Ceremony of Carols, no. 9. [text not verified]
- by John (Nicholson) Ireland (1879 - 1962), "A thanksgiving", 1938, published 1938, from Five XVIth Century Poems, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
Freude fürwahr, horch, nimm es wahr der Vögel Lied. Das Reh im Tal, das Schaf zumal, das Korn ersprießt. Gott sorgt und schafft stets Lebenskraft für jedermann. Darum erweist ihm Ehr und preist ihn, dankend dann.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Spring carol" = "Frühlingslied"
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2015 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact: