Ach, es ist so dunkel in des Todes...
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ach, es ist so dunkel in des Todes Kammer,
Tönt so traurig, wenn er sich bewegt
Und nun aufhebt seinen schweren Hammer
Und die Stunde schlägt.
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE NOR
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Jeroen Scholten
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hanns Eisler (1898 - 1962), "Ach, es ist so dunkel", op. 2 no. 2 (1922). [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Horwitz, né Curt Horwitz (1884 - 1925), "Der Tod", op. 6 no. 3, published 1921. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Karl Horwitz, né Curt Horwitz (1884 - 1925), "Der Tod", op. 8 (Vom Tode) no. 2, published 1922. [baritone and large orchestra] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Huub de Lange (b. 1955), "Der Tod", published 2008 [SATB chorus a cappella], from 5 Liedchen von Liebe und Tod, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Kurt Lange (1881 - 1958), "Der Tod", published 191-?, from Drei Lieder, no. 2, München: Callwey [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Reutter (1900 - 1985), "Der Tod", op. 60 (Drei Lieder) no. 2, published 1947. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Der Tod", op. 52 no. 16 (1937) [voice and piano], from Wandsbecker Liederbuch: Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Matthias Claudius, no. 16, Wien: Universal Edition [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Meinrad Schütter (1910 - 2006), "Der Tod", 1956/76. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Der Tod", 1901-4, from Acht frühe Lieder, no. 7. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (John Glenn Paton) , "Ah, it is so dark in Death's chamber", copyright © 2000, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Death", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La mort", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "Døden", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:24
Line count: 4
Word count: 26
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Oh, it is so dark in the chamber of Death,
Sounding so sorrowfully, when he stirs himself;
Now he lifts his brutal hammer,
And the hour tolls.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815) FRE NOR
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hanns Eisler, Karl Horwitz, né Curt Horwitz, Huub de Lange, Kurt Lange, Hermann Reutter, Othmar Schoeck, Meinrad Schütter, Anton von Webern. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2015-08-24.
Last modified: 2015-08-24 12:42:36
Line count: 4
Word count: 27