Language: German (Deutsch)
Der graue Nebel tropft so still
Herab auf Feld und Wald und Heide,
Als ob der Himmel weinen will
In übergroßem Leide.
Die Blumen wollen nicht mehr blühn,
Die Vöglein schweigen in den Hainen,
Es starb sogar das letzte Grün,
Da mag er auch wohl weinen.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Spätherbst", op. 92 (Vier Quartette) no. 2 (<<1884), published 1884 [SATB quartet and piano], Berlin, Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Elise Breiderhoff, née Frey (1849 - 1940), "Spätherbst", op. 3 (Vierzehn Lieder für 2 weibliche Stimme ohne Begleitung) no. 11, published 1897 [vocal duet for female voices, unaccompanied], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Late herfst", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Late autumn", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Automne tardif", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:15
Line count: 8
Word count: 46
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Dutch (Nederlands) after the German (Deutsch)
De grijze nevel drupt zo stil
Omlaag op veld en bos en heide,
Alsof de hemel wenen wil
Door overmatig lijden.
De bloei der bloemen komt in nood,
En vogellied'ren hoor je gene,
Het laatste groen ging zelfs nog dood,
Dus mag hij best wel wenen.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2015 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Allmers (1821 - 1902) ENG FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Johannes Brahms, Elise Breiderhoff, née Frey. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2015-09-25.
Last modified: 2015-09-25 00:11:55
Line count: 8
Word count: 46