O placido il mare
Language: Italian (Italiano)
O placido il mare
Lusinghi la sponda,
O porti con l'onda
Terrore e spavento:
È colpa del vento,
Sua colpa non è.
S'io vo' con la sorte
diventa per me.
N. Vaccaj sets stanza 1
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Alberto Pedrotti and Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "O placido il mare", HWV 24 (1728), first performed 1728, from the opera Siroe, re di Persia [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "O placido il mare" [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Friedrich Raupach (1728 - 1778), "O placido il mare", 1760, first performed 1760. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Domenico Sarri (1678 - 1740), "O placido il mare", 1727, first performed 1727. [strings, soprano voice, and continuo] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nicola Vaccaj (1790 - 1848), "L'altro modo", stanza 1, from Metodo pratico di Canto Italiano, no. 20. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-08-15 19:48:44
Line count: 10
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works