Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der den...
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ueberwunden hat der Herr den Tod!
Des Menschen Sohn und Gott
Ein Sieger auferstanden!
Rein, entweiht von keiner Sünde nicht,
Trug er des Herrn Gericht,
Daß wir, von Sünden
Erlöst, Gott wieder finden!
Heil, Verwerfung, Tod und Leben, ist,
Dein Werk, Gott, Jesu Christ!
Du willst das Leben
Den Ueberwindern geben!
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
F. Schubert sets stanza 1
List of language codes
Confirmed with Klopstock, Geistliche Lieder. Erster Theil. Kopenhagen und Leipzig, bey Friedrich Christian Pelt, 1758, pages 201-202.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der den Tod überwand", subtitle: "Osterlied", D. 168A (1815), published 1872, stanza 1 [satb chorus and piano], formerly D. 987 [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Paaslied "Jezus Christus onze Heiland"", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Jésus-Christ notre sauveur, qui a vaincu la mort", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Jesus Christ Our Saviour, who overcame Death (Easter Song)", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-06-14.
Last modified: 2017-05-22 06:19:23
Line count: 15
Word count: 56
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Jesus Christ Our Saviour, who overcame Death (Easter Song)
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The Lord has overcome death!
The Son of man and God
Is risen [from the dead]!
A Warrior-Victor is risen!
Pure, not profaned by sin,
He carried [out] the command of God,
That we, from sin
Redeemed, [can] find God again!
Healing, rejection, death and life, are [all]
Your work, God, Jesus Christ!
You want to give life
To [those who] overcome!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2015-12-27.
Last modified: 2015-12-27 16:48:48
Line count: 15
Word count: 65