Language: German (Deutsch)
Tag voll Himmel! da aus Lauras Blicken
Mir der Liebe heiligstes Entzücken
In die wonnetrunkne Seele drang!
Und, von ihrem Zauber hingerissen,
Ich der Holden, unter Feuerküssen,
An den süßbeklommnen Busen sank!
Goldner sah ich Wolken sich besäumen,
Jedes Blättchen auf den Frühlingsbäumen
Schien zu flüstern: Ewig, ewig dein!
Glücklicher, in solcher Taumelfülle,
Werd' ich, nach verstäubter Erdenhülle,
Kaum in Edens [Mirtenlauben]1 seyn.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Tübingen, bei Cotta, 1811, page 7; and with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Neueste, sehr vermehrte und vollständigste Ausgabe. Wien 1815. In Commission bey Cath. Gräffer und Härter, page 7.
1 Matthisson (Wien 1815 edition), and Schubert: "Myrthenlauben"
Note: The initial version of this poem, published 1781 and 1783 with the title Laura, is slightly different and has an additional stanza; see below.
Submitted by Melanie Trumbull and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Encís", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Verrukking", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Rapture", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ravissement", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-05-23 12:17:34
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Heaven-filled day! when from Laura’s gaze,
Love’s sacred rapture
Flooded my euphoric Soul!
And, intoxicated by her magic,
I sank, with fiery kisses, to my graceful one,
To her sweetly trembling breast!
Golden-bordered were the clouds I saw,
Every bud of the spring saplings
Seemed to whisper: Always, always yours!
Happier, in such a frenzied state,
Could I hardly be, after [being] covered by dusty earth,
In Eden’s [own] myrtle bower.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2015-12-29 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2015-12-29 19:13:48
Line count: 12
Word count: 71