Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Schweigen und entsagen lernen, Das ist unser Erdenlauf; Tönend blüh'n in sel'gen Fernen Einst die stummen Saaten auf.
Confirmed with Gedichte von Fridr. Baron de la Motte-Fouqué, Zweyter Theil, Neueste Auflage, Wien: Bey B. Ph. Bauer, 1818, page 57
- by Friedrich Heinrich Karl, Freiherr de La Motte-Fouqué (1777 - 1843), appears in Gedichte, in Sprüche, no. 1 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Adolf Bernhard Vogel (1847 - 1898), "Schweigen und entsagen lernen", op. 35, Heft 1 no. 1, published 1884 [mixed chorus], from the collection Tröstungen. Vier ernste Gesänge für gemischten Chor nach Sprüchen von de la Motte-Fouqué, no. 1, Leipzig, Siegel [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "To learn to fall silent and to abjure", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
To learn to fall silent and to abjure, That is our journey upon earth; Someday in the blessed distances The mute sowing shall flourish resoundingly.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Heinrich Karl, Freiherr de La Motte-Fouqué (1777 - 1843), appears in Gedichte, in Sprüche, no. 1