Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
О, как безумно за окном Ревёт, бушует буря злая, Несутся тучи, льют дождём, И ветер воет, замирая! Ужасна ночь! В такую ночь Мне жаль людей, лишённых крова, Сожаленье гонит прочь - В объятья холода сырого! Бороться с мраком и дождём, Страдалцев участь разделяя... О, как безумно за окном Бушует ветер, изнывая!
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok (1880 - 1921), no title, from the cycle "Raznyje stikhotvorenija", first published 1899 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Буря", op. 127 no. 5 [soprano, violin, and piano], from Семь Стихотворений А. Блока: вокально-инструментальная сюита = Sem' stikhotvorenij A. Bloka, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
- by Dmitri Nikolaevich Smirnov (b. 1948), "Буря", op. 9 no. 5, published 1972 [voice and orchestra], from Shest' stikhotvorenij Aleksandra Bloka, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
- by Dmitri Nikolaevich Smirnov (b. 1948), "Буря", op. 9a no. 5, published 1972 [voice and piano], from Shest' stikhotvorenij Aleksandra Bloka, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (David Angell) , title 1: "The tempest", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Tempête", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Anne Evans) , title 1: "The tempest", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:22
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
Beyond my window, fierce and wild, the savage tempest roars and rages, with scudding storm clouds, streaming rain and howling wind that fades to silence! An awful night! On such a night I pity those bereft of shelter. A deep compassion drives me forth to share the winter's damp embraces!... To strive against the gloom and rain, at one with outcasts, doomed to suffer... Beyond my window, fierce and wild, the raging wind sinks in exhaustion!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2016 by Anne Evans, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok (1880 - 1921), no title, from the cycle "Raznyje stikhotvorenija", first published 1899
Text added to the website: 2016-05-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-05-19 14:33:50
Line count: 12
Word count: 76