At a Calvary near the Ancre
One ever hangs where shelled roads part.
In this war He too lost a limb,
But His disciples hide apart;
And now the Soldiers bear with Him.
Near Golgatha strolls many a priest,
And in their faces there is pride
That they were flesh-marked by the Beast
By whom the gentle Christ's denied.
The scribes on all the people shove
And bawl allegiance to the state,
But they who love the greater love
Lay down their life; they do not hate.
Translation(s): CAT FRE
List of language codes
Note: in Britten's setting, each stanza is separated by lines from Agnus dei. The two texts are interleaved.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
[ None yet in the database ]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Agnus Dei", op. 66 no. 5, published 1961 [soprano, tenor, baritone, satb chorus, boys' chorus, orchestra, chamber orchestra, organ], from the collection War Requiem, no. 5..
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2008-01-08.
Last modified: 2016-06-30 12:34:46
Line count: 12
Word count: 81
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Un sempre resta on les carreteres...
Language: Catalan (Català) after the English
Un sempre resta on les carreteres bombardejades es bifurquen.
En aquesta guerra Ell també ha estat mutilat,
però els seus deixebles s’amaguen a part;
i ara els soldats són indulgents amb Ell.
Molts sacerdots donen tombs prop del Gòlgota,
amb orgull a llurs rostres
marcats en la carn per la Bèstia
per a qui el bon Crist fou negat.
Els escribes empentegen a tota la gent
I pregonen lleialtat a l’estat,
Però els que estimen amb un amor superior
sacrifiquen llur vida, ells no odien.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2016 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in English by Wilfred Owen (1893 - 1918), "At a Calvary near the Ancre", from Poems, first published 1931 FRE
Text added to the website: 2016-06-30.
Last modified: 2016-06-30 12:36:35
Line count: 12
Word count: 85