Wo find' ich Trost
Language: German (Deutsch)
Eine Liebe kenn ich, die ist treu,
War getreu, solang ich sie gefunden,
Hat mit tiefem Seufzen immer neu,
Stets versöhnlich, sich mit mir verbunden.
Welcher einst mit himmlischem Gedulden
Bitter bittern Todestropfen trank,
Hing am Kreuz und büßte mein Verschulden,
Bis es in ein Meer von Gnade sank.
Und was ist's nun, daß ich traurig bin,
Daß ich angstvoll mich am Boden winde?
Frage: Hüter, ist die Nacht bald hin?
Und: was rettet mich von Tod und Sünde?
Arges Herze! Ja gesteh' es nur,
Du hast wieder böse Lust empfangen;
Frommer Liebe, frommer Treue Spur,
Ach, das ist auf lange nun vergangen.
Ja, daß ist's auch, daß ich traurig bin,
Daß ich angstvoll mich am Boden winde!
Hüter, Hüter, ist die Nacht bald hin?
Und was rettet mich von Tod und Sünde?
Translation(s): ENG FRE FRE ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Where do I find comfort", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Où vais-je trouver le réconfort ?", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Dove potrò trovare conforto", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , title 1: "Où trouver la consolation ?", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 20
Word count: 133
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Where do I find comfort
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
One love I know that is faithful,
That has been faithful through all the time since I found it,
That with deep sighs has ever anew,
Always forgivingly, allied itself to me.
He, who once with heavenly patience,
Drank the bitter, bitter drops of death,
Hung upon the cross and atoned for my transgressions
Until they sank into a sea of mercy.
And what is happening now, why I am sad?
Why do I anxiously writhe upon the ground?
Asking: Watchman, is the night soon over?
And: What shall save me from death and sin?
Erring heart! Yes, only admit it,
You have again conceived evil passions;
Pious love, the track of pious faithfulness,
Ah, those have been gone for a long while now.
Yes, that is why then that I am saddened,
That I anxiously writhe upon the ground!
Watchman, watchman is the night soon over?
And what shall save me from death and sin?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2016-02-01.
Last modified: 2016-02-01 12:50:14
Line count: 20
Word count: 156