Language: German (Deutsch)
Wolkenflug und herber Wind
Kühlt mich, der ich krank gewesen.
Träumend wie ein stilles Kind
Ruh ich aus und bin genesen.
Nur ein Klang in tiefer Brust
Ist von meinem armen Lieben,
Dämpfend alle laute Lust,
Leis und trauernd überblieben.
Diesem namenlosen Klang,
Während Wind und Tannen rauschen,
Kann ich Stunden, Tage lang
Schweigend hingegeben lauschen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 91.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Finale", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Finale", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-15.
Last modified: 2017-10-19 18:37:13
Line count: 12
Word count: 56
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Scudding clouds and bitter wind
Cool me, who has been ill.
Dreamily, like a quiet child,
I rest and have recovered.
Only one sound deep in my breast
Remains [as an echo] of my poor loving,
Muting all loud joy
Quietly and with mourning.
To this nameless sound,
While wind and pines are soughing,
I can listen for hours, days,
With silent surrendering.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Ausklang", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hajo Kelling, Immo Schneider, Franz Xaver Zintl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2016-12-11.
Last modified: 2016-12-14 07:38:54
Line count: 12
Word count: 63