Language: German (Deutsch)
Der schwarze Schnee, der von den Dächern rinnt;
Ein roter Finger taucht in deine Stirne
Ins kahle Zimmer sinken blaue Firne,
Die Liebender erstorbene Spiegel sind.
In schwere Stücke bricht das Haupt und sinnt
Den Schatten nach im Spiegel blauer Firne,
Dem kalten Lächeln einer toten Dirne.
In Nelkendüften weint der Abendwind.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Delirium", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Delirium", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2011-09-23.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:36
Line count: 8
Word count: 52
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The black snow flowing down the roofs -
a scarlet finger dips into your forehead,
blue firns sink into the bleak room,
that are the lovers’ tarnished mirrors.
The head breaks into heavy pieces - broods
on shadows mirrored by blue firns
and on the wintry smile of a dead whore.
The evening wind weeps in carnations' fragrance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann. Contact:
<BKottmann (AT) t-online.de>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Delirium" FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Wolfgang Nening. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2017-02-10.
Last modified: 2017-02-10 11:31:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 58