Als neuling trat ich ein in dein gehege
Language: German (Deutsch)
Als neuling trat ich ein in dein gehege;
Kein staunen war vorher in meinen mienen,
Kein wunsch in mir, eh ich dich blickte, rege.
Der jungen hände faltung sieh mit huld,
Erwähle mich zu denen, die dir dienen
Und schone mit erbarmender geduld
Den, der noch strauchelt auf so fremdem stege.
Translation(s): CAT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Come un novizio entrai nel tuo recinto", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Com un novici vaig entrar en el teu recinte", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "As a newcomer I entered your close", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:29
Line count: 7
Word count: 51
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
As a newcomer I entered your close
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
As a newcomer I entered your close;
Before, no amazement was in my mien,
No wish astir in me, until I looked on you.
Gaze with benevolence upon the clasp of my young hands,
Elect me to those who serve you
And, with merciful patience, spare
Him, who still staggers upon this unfamiliar path.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2017-04-12.
Last modified: 2017-04-12 15:05:45
Line count: 7
Word count: 54