Angst und hoffen wechselnd mich...
Language: German (Deutsch)
Angst und hoffen wechselnd mich beklemmen,
Meine worte sich in seufzer dehnen,
Mich bedrängt so ungestümes sehnen,
Daß ich mich an rast und schlaf nicht kehre,
Daß mein lager tränen schwemmen,
Daß ich jede freude von mir wehre,
Daß ich keines freundes trost begehre.
Translation(s): CAT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Mi opprime un alternarsi di speranza e angoscia", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Angoixa i esperança m'oprimeixen alternadament", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Fear and hope oppress me alternately", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:29
Line count: 7
Word count: 44
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Fear and hope oppress me alternately
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Fear and hope oppress me alternately,
My words stretch themselves out into sighs,
I am beset by such tumultuous yearning
That I do not care about rest and sleep,
That my bed is flooded with tears,
That I thrust every happiness from me,
That I do not desire the comfort of any friend.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2017-04-12.
Last modified: 2017-04-12 15:27:53
Line count: 7
Word count: 53