Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Se, Solen blusser saa elskovsrød! Den lægger sit Hoved i Bølgens Skjød. Dog, hvem kan skildre det red med Ord! Tilbedende tier den hele Jord, Kun Blomsterne nikke i Vinden, De kysse hinanden paa Kinden. I Bugten hist, hvor Sivene gro, Der gynge i Baaden de Elskende to; I Havet, i Øjet og højt i det Blaa, Alle tre Steder jo Himle staa, Men allerherligst blandt disse Er Øjets Himmel tilvisse. Den Himmel ejer det reneste Blaa, Og Tankerne der som Stjerner staa; Der skuer man klart i Aandernes Land, Man føler sig Barn, og dog en Mand, hver Tanke mod Himlen sig taber, Og Hjertet tror paa sin Skaber.
- by Hans Christian Andersen (1805 - 1875), "Kjærlighed", written 1831, appears in Phantasier og Skizzer [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Edvard Grieg (1843 - 1907), "Kjærlighed", op. 15 (Romanser) no. 2 (1864-8), published 1868. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Geoffrey Cooper) , "Love", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Amour", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:15
Line count: 18
Word count: 110
Look, the sun is blushing so red! It rests its head on the waves’ lap But who can portray that red with words All the world hushes in adoration Only flowers nod in the wind They kiss each other on the cheek. In the bay, where reeds grow Rocking in the boat, the lovers two In sea, in eye, and on high, that blue Heaven stands in all three places But most amongst them Is surely the heaven in her eyes. Her sky is of the purest blue And her thoughts are like stars in it You can clearly see to the spirit land You feel a child, yet still a man Every thought is lost against that heaven And the heart believes in its creator.
- Translation from Danish (Dansk) to English copyright © 2017 by Geoffrey Cooper, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Danish (Dansk) by Hans Christian Andersen (1805 - 1875), "Kjærlighed", written 1831, appears in Phantasier og Skizzer
Text added to the website: 2017-10-15 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-10-15 15:03:32
Line count: 18
Word count: 126