Language: German (Deutsch)
Brüder! die Flaschen;
Auf! die geflügelten
Freuden zu haschen,
Locken und Becher von Rosen umglüht.
Auf! eh die moosigen
Hügel uns winken,
Wonne von rosigen
Lippen zu trinken;
Huldigung Allem, was jugendlich blüht!
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG
List of language codes
Confirmed with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Tübingen, bei Cotta, 1811, page 150; with Gedichte von Friedrich Matthisson. Dritte vermehrte Auflage. Zürich, 1794 bey Orell, Gessner, Füssli & Comp., page 114; and with Musen-Almanach für 1794, herausgegeben von Joh. Heinr. Voß, Hamburg, bey C.E.Bohn, page 116.
First published 1792 in a different version with the title Trinklied; see below.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Set in a modified version by Johann Xaver Sterkel.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó de banquet", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Skolion", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Drinking song", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-07-30 12:30:37
Line count: 10
Word count: 36
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The girls have uncorked
The bottles, brothers!
Up! the winged
Joys need to be captured,
Locks of hair and beakers are glowing with roses all around.
Up! before the mossy
Hills summon us,
Take delight in pink
Lips, drink in the delight;
Pay hommage to everything that is blooming with youth!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Skolie", written 1791?, first published 1792 CAT DUT
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Franz Peter Schubert, Johann Rudolf Zumsteeg. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-01-25.
Last modified: 2018-01-25 17:44:01
Line count: 10
Word count: 51