Language: German (Deutsch)
An dem grünbeflognen Hang
Ist schon Veilchenblau erklungen,
Nur den schwarzen Wald entlang
Liegt noch Schnee in zackigen Zungen.
Tropfen aber schmilzt um Tropfen hin,
Aufgesogen von der durstigen Erde,
Und am blassen Himmel oben ziehn
Lämmerwolken in beglänzter Herde.
Finkenruf verliebt schmilzt im Gesträuch:
Menschen, singt auch ihr und liebet euch!
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 277.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "March", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Mars", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-04.
Last modified: 2018-07-12 15:42:45
Line count: 10
Word count: 52
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Upon the green-bedusted slope
The blue of violets has already been heard,
Only along the black forest
Snow still lies in jagged tongues.
But drop upon drop melts away,
Soaked up by the thirsty earth,
And upon the pale heavens above
Lamb-like clouds drift in a radiant herd.
The call of finches melts, love-lorn, in the bushes:
People, sing as well and love each other!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "März", subtitle: "(Februar 1921)", written 1921 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Werner Bühler. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-02-13.
Last modified: 2018-02-13 13:24:25
Line count: 10
Word count: 65