Es wird dir sonderbar erscheinen
Language: German (Deutsch)
Es wird dir sonderbar erscheinen,
Daß ich zuweilen wie ein Knabe
Nicht schlafen kann vor lautem Weinen
Und bitterlich das Heimweh habe,
Und daß ich tagelang in Träumen
Hinschlendre mit geheimem Leid
An fremden, stillen Gartensäumen,
Gedenkend meiner Kinderzeit ...
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 70.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "It will seem strange to you --", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Il te semblera étrange", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-06 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-08-31 17:11:20
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
It will seem strange to you ‑‑
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
It will seem strange to you
That now and then I, like a boy,
Cannot sleep for loud weeping
And bitterly suffer from homesickness,
And that, with secret suffering,
For days I drift about in dreams
Along unfamiliar, quiet garden edges,
Thinking of my childhood ...
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Es wird dir sonderbar erscheinen --", written 1900 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Manfred Frischknecht, Heinrich Pestalozzi, Immo Schneider. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-05-19 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-05-19 10:20:59
Line count: 8
Word count: 46