Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Sie hüpfte [vor]1 mir auf grünem Plan, Und sah die [fahlenden]2 Linden an Mit trauernden Kindesaugen; "Die stillen Lauben sind entlaubt, Die Blumen hat der Herbst geraubt, Der Herbst will gar nichts taugen. Ach, du bist ein schönes Ding, Frühling!3 Ueber allen Zauber Frühling." Das zierliche Kind, wie's vor mir schwebt! Aus Lilien und Rosen zart gewebt, Mit Augen gleich den Sternen; - "Blüht mir dein holdes Angesicht, Dann mag, fürwahr ich zage nicht, Der Mayen sich entfernen. Färbet nur des Lebens Trübe Liebe: Ueber allen Zauber Liebe."
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Wien. Bey Friedrich Volke. 1824, page 53.1 Schubert: "mit"
2 Schubert: "falbenden"
3 Schuberts manuscript breaks off here.
- by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Über allen Zauber Liebe" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Über allen Zauber Liebe", D. 682 (1820), published 1895 [voice, piano], note: fragment, breaks off before last line of stanza 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "L’amor per damunt tot encanteri", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Meer dan alle schoonheid: liefde", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Above all magic - love", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "L'amour au-dessus de toute magie", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ted Perry , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-08-14 11:25:27
Line count: 18
Word count: 88
She was jumping with me on the green expanses And she looked at the lime trees as they turned brown With the mournful eyes of a child; "The quiet foliage has fallen off, Autumn has robbed us of the flowers, Autumn has absolutely nothing to offer us. Oh, you are a beautiful thing, Spring! Above all magic - spring." That dainty child, how she hovers before me! Tenderly woven out of lilies and roses, With eyes like the stars; - "If your beauteous face is blossoming for me Then I have no hesitation in saying That May must have departed. If only life's dullness can be given colour by Love: Above all magic - love."
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Baptist Mayrhofer (1787 - 1836), "Über allen Zauber Liebe"
Text added to the website: 2019-03-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-03-19 13:37:31
Line count: 18
Word count: 115