Ich zieh' dahin!
Language: German (Deutsch) after the French (Français)
Ich zieh' dahin!
Ade, mein fröhlich Frankenland,
Wo ich die liebste Heimath fand,
Du meiner Kindheit Pflegerin.
Ade, du Land, du schöne Zeit --
Mich trennt das Boot vom Glück so weit!
Doch trägt's die Hälfte nur von mir:
Ein Theil für immer bleibet dein,
Mein fröhlich Land, der sage dir,
Des Andern eingedenk zu sein! --
Translation(s): DUT ENG FIN
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Rose und Distel, Poesien aus England und Schottland, übertragen von Giesbert Freiherrn Vincke, Dessau, Druck und Verlag von Gebrüder Katz, 1853, page 28.
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Joseph) Joachim Raff (1822 - 1882), "Maria Stuart's Abschied von Frankreich", op. 172 no. 5 (1872), published 1873, from Maria Stuart, ein Cyklus von Gesängen, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Abschied von Frankreich", op. 135 no. 1 (1852), published 1855 [voice and piano], from Gedichte der Königin Maria Stuart, no. 1, Leipzig, Siegel [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Afscheid van Frankrijk", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Taking leave from France", subtitle: "By Mary Stuart. [original in] French", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Jäähyväiset Ranskalle", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-11-02.
Last modified: 2015-03-20 20:08:36
Line count: 10
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Taking leave from France
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
I travel away!
Adieu, my joyful France,
Where I found the dearest home,
Thou, who tended to me in childhood.
Adieu, thou land, thou lovely time --
The boat is carrying me so far away from happiness!
But it bears only half of me:
One part shall ever remain thine,
My joyful land, [and that part] shall urge thee
To remember the other part! --
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Subtitle: "By Mary Stuart. [original in] French"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2015-03-20.
Last modified: 2017-08-02 11:24:15
Line count: 10
Word count: 63