Language: German (Deutsch)
Auf frisch gemähtem Weideplatz
Steht einsam die Zeitlose,
Den Leib von einer Lilie,
Die Farb' von einer Rose.1
Doch es ist Gift, was aus dem Kelch,
Dem reinen, blinkt, so rötlich;
Die letzte Blum', die letzte Lieb'
Sind beide schön, doch tödlich.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Strauss ends this stanza with a semi-colon.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De tijloos", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "The meadow saffron", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Le colchique", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Il fiore di croco", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Il fiore di croco
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Su un prato da poco mietuto
sta solitario il fiore di croco,
il corpo di giglio,
il colore di rosa;
ma è veleno ciò che dalla corolla,
pura, sembra così rosato
- l'ultimo fiore, l'ultimo amore
sono entrambi belli, ma mortali.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2005 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2005-10-18 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:15
Line count: 8
Word count: 41