Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas! eine Welt
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas! eine Welt,
Die ganze Welt der Schmerzen muß ich tragen,
Ich trage Unerträgliches, und brechen
Will mir das Herz im Leibe.
Du stolzes Herz! du hast es ja gewollt,
Du wolltest glücklich seyn, unendlich glücklich
Oder unendlich elend, stolzes Herz,
Und jetzo bist du elend.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE FRE ITA KOR NOR POR RUS SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Buch der Lieder von H. Heine. Hamburg bei Hoffmann und Campe. 1827, page 202; and with Reisebilder von H. Heine. Erster Theil. Hamburg, bey Hoffmann und Campe. 1826, page 28.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Burmeister (1860 - 1944), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", op. 12 (Drei Lieder) no. 2. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Karen De Pastel (b. 1949), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", 1974, from Sieben Lieder nach Texten von Heinrich Heine, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Anton Eberhardt (1855 - 1922), "Der Atlas", op. 16 (Drei Lieder) no. 3. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Emmerich (1836 - 1891), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", op. 9 (Acht Gesänge) no. 3, published 1858 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Kahnt [ sung text not verified ]
- by J. Hora Adema , "Der Atlas", published 19--? [ sung text not verified ]
- by Daniël de Lange (1841 - 1918), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", 1854. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Louis Sauguer (1907 - 1991), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", published c1923-7 [low voice and piano], from Zwei Gesänge, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Der Atlas", D. 957 no. 8 (1828), published 1829 [voice and piano], from Schwanengesang, no. 8. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johann Vesque von Püttlingen (1803 - 1883), "Ich unglücksel'ger Atlas", published 1851, from Die Heimkehr : 88 Gedichte aus H. Heine's Reisebildern, no. 24. [ sung text not verified ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Atlas", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Atlas", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "Atlas", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emma Lazarus) , appears in Poems and Ballads of Heinrich Heine, first published 1881
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) [singable] (David Le Marrec) , copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Je suis l'infortuné Atlas! un monde", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Atlante", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- KOR Korean (한국어/조선말) [singable] (곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack) , "아틀라스", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "Atlas", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Leonardo Gonçalves) , "Eu desafortunado Atlas"
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-11-12 04:19:24
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Io, infelice Atlante! Un mondo,
tutto il mondo del dolore devo sopportare.
Io sopporto l'insopportabile,
e mi si spezza il cuore nel petto.
Tu, cuore superbo, tu lo hai voluto!
Tu volevi essere felice, infinitamente felice,
o infinitamente sventurato,
ed ecco, ora sei sventurato.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2005 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), no title, written 1823-24, appears in Buch der Lieder, in Die Heimkehr, no. 24, first published 1826 CAT DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE FRE KOR NOR POR RUS SPA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Richard Burmeister, Karen De Pastel, Anton Eberhardt, Robert Emmerich, J. Hora Adema, Daniël de Lange, Louis Sauguer, Franz Peter Schubert, Johann Vesque von Püttlingen. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2005-12-15.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:16
Line count: 8
Word count: 44