Ach, arme Welt
Language: German (Deutsch) after the German (Deutsch)
Ach, arme Welt, du trügest mich
Ja, das bekenn ich eigentlich,
Und kann dich doch nicht meiden.
Du falsche Welt, du bist nicht wahr,
Dein Schein vergeht, das weiss ich zwar,
Met Weh und großem Leiden.
Dein Ehr, dein Gut, du armer Welt,
Im Tod, in rechten Nöten fehlt,
Dein Schatz ist eitel falsches Geld,
Dess hielf mir, Herr, zum Frieden.
Translation(s): CAT DUT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Wijtse Rodenburg
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Ai, pobre món", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Wim Reedijk) , "Ach, arme wereld", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Ach, aardse droom", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Ah, poor world", copyright © 2005
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ah, pauvre monde", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-05-18 15:07:13
Line count: 10
Word count: 61
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Ah, poor world
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Ah, poor world, you deceive me -
yes, in fact I confess it -
and I cannot yet avoid you.
You false world, you are not real.
Your glint fades, I know it indeed,
with woe and great suffering.
Your honour and your goodness, you poor world,
fail in death and times of true need;
your treasure is vain, false money...
Help me, Lord, to come to peace with this.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- http://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2005-12-31.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:16
Line count: 10
Word count: 70