Solang man nüchtern ist
Language: German (Deutsch)
[Solang]1 man nüchtern ist,
Gefällt das Schlechte;
Wie man getrunken hat,
Weiß man das Rechte;
Nur ist das Übermaß
Auch gleich zuhanden:
Hafis, o lehre mich,
Wie du's verstanden!
Denn meine Meinung ist
Wenn man nicht trinken kann,
Soll man nicht lieben;
Doch sollt ihr Trinker euch
Nicht besser dünken:
Wenn man nicht lieben kann,
Soll man nicht trinken.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Wolf : "So lang"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Trinklied aus dem Divan", op. posth. 75 (Sechs Lieder für vierstimmigen Männerchor) no. 3 (c1837), published 1849. [four-part men's chorus] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "So lang man nüchtern ist", 1889, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 36, Mainz, Schott [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "For as long as you are sober", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Finché si è sobri", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 16
Word count: 61
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
For as long as you are sober
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
For as long as you are sober,
you are pleased with what is bad;
When you have had a drink,
you know what's what;
But then excess
is on hand:
Hafiz, teach me
how you understand this.
For my opinion
isn't an exaggeration:
If you can't drink
you can't love;
But then you drinkers shouldn't
imagine yourself to be better:
If you can't love
you can't drink.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 16
Word count: 67