Language: German (Deutsch)
Wärst du nicht, heil'ger Abendschein!
Wärst du nicht, sternerhellte Nacht!
Du Blütenschmuck! du üpp'ger Hain!
Und du, Gebirg' voll ernster Pracht!
Du, Vogelsang aus Himmeln hoch!
Du, Lied aus voller Menschenbrust!
Wärst du nicht – ach! was füllte noch
In arger Zeit ein Herz mit Lust? --
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
Confirmed with: Kerners Werke, Zweiter Teil, Gedichte, ed. Raimund Pissin, Berlin, Leipzig, Wien, Stuttgart: Deutsches Verlagshaus Bong & Co., 1914, page 171
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Frage", op. 35 no. 9 (1840), published 1841 [voice and piano], from Zwölf Gedichte von Justinus Kerner, no. 9, Leipzig, Klemm [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by (Philipp) Friedrich Silcher (1789 - 1860), "Frage", from Sechs Lieder von Justinus Kerner, no. 5. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Interrogació", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Een vraag", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Question", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Interrogation", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Domanda", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-07-11 17:39:15
Line count: 8
Word count: 46
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Non eri tu, sacra luce della sera!
Non eri tu, notte chiara di stelle!
Tu, ornamento di fiori! Tu florido boschetto!
E tu, montagna, splendente di severa bellezza!
Tu canto d'uccelli dall'alto del cielo!
Tu canzone umana nata dal cuore!
Non eri tu, ah, e che cosa riempie ancora
di gioia nel tempo amaro un cuore?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2006 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2006-03-30.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:18
Line count: 8
Word count: 56