Language: German (Deutsch)
Gewaltig endet so das Jahr
Mit goldnem Wein und Frucht der Gärten.
Rund schweigen Wälder wunderbar
Und sind des Einsamen Gefährten.
Da sagt der Landmann: Es ist gut.
Ihr Abendglocken lang und leise
Gebt noch zum Ende frohen Mut.
Ein Vogelzug grüßt auf der Reise.
Es ist der Liebe milde Zeit.
Im Kahn den blauen Fluß hinunter
Wie schön sich Bild an Bildchen reiht -
Das geht in Ruh und Schweigen unter.
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Walter Abendroth (1896 - 1973), "Verklärter Herbst", op. 29 no. 3 [baritone and piano], from Trakl-Triologie für Bariton und Klavier, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Huub de Lange (b. 1955), "Verklärter Herbst", published 2006 [SATB chorus a cappella], from Jahreszeiten, no. 4. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Benoît Mernier (b. 1964), "Verklärter Herbst", 2003. [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Josef Schelb (1894 - 1977), "Verklärter Herbst", first performed 1964 [soprano, flute, clarinet, 2 violins, viola, and violoncello], from 4 Gesänge nach Texten von Georg Trakl, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Thomas Schubert (b. 1961), "Verklärter Herbst" [high voice and instrumental ensemble or piano], from Auch will die Seele stille sich bereiten - Gesänge nach Gedichten von Georg Trakl, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Jan Stuten (1890 - 1948), "Verklärter Herbst", published 1936? [low voice and chamber orchestra or piano], from Die vier Jahreszeiten, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Felix Wolfes (1892 - 1971), "Verklärter Herbst" [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Walter A. Aue) , "Illuminated Autumn", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Idyllized Autumn", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Automne transfiguré", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Luci d'autunno", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:52
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
So grand arrives the season's end
with golden wine and garden fruit.
Around, the silent woods attend
to lonely wanderers' solitude.
Now says the farmer, "It was good."
Soft evening bells, how long you ring
to make my soul feel resolute.
A flock of birds greets on the wing.
This is the milder time of love.
From boats adrift on river's blue
each image will the other shove -
until in silence ends the queue.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue. Contact:
<waue (AT) dal (DOT) ca>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Verklärter Herbst", appears in Kleines Konzert FRE ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Walter Abendroth, Huub de Lange, Benoît Mernier, Josef Schelb, Thomas Schubert, Jan Stuten, Felix Wolfes. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2006-04-20 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:18
Line count: 12
Word count: 75