Language: German (Deutsch)
Es ist ein Weinen in der Welt,
als ob der liebe Gott gestorben wär,
und der bleierne Schatten, der niederfällt,
Komm, wir wollen uns näher verbergen ...
Das Leben liegt in aller Herzen
wie in Särgen.
Du! wir wollen uns tief küssen -
Es pocht eine Sehnsucht an die Welt,
an der wir sterben müssen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE SPA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Weltende", 2005 [soprano and piano], from Vier Lieder von Else Lasker-Schüler, no. 3 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by David Philip Hefti (b. 1975), "Weltende", 2003, first performed 2006 [soprano, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, horn, percussion, piano, string quintet], from TENET - 4 Songs for Soprano and Ensemble, no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Paul Hindemith (1895 - 1963), "Weltende", op. 9 (Drei Gesänge für Sopran und Orchester) no. 2 (1917) [soprano and orchestra] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Georg Lewin (1879 - 1941), as Herwarth Walden, "Weltende" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wilhelm (Willem) Rettich (1892 - 1988), "Weltende", op. 26a no. 25 [voice and piano], from Else Lasker-Schüler Zyklus , no. 25, Book IV -- Nachklänge [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Margarete Voigt-Schweikert (1887 - 1957), "Weltende" [voice and piano], unpublished [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Spanish (Español), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , "Fin del mundo" ENG FRE ; composed by Lucio Bruno-Videla.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "The end of the world", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Fin du monde", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2006-07-13 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:19
Line count: 10
Word count: 57
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works