Si le bonheur à sourire t'invite
Language: French (Français) after the Italian (Italiano)
Si le bonheur à sourire t'invite,
Joyeux alors, je sens un doux émoi;
Si la douleur t'accable, Marguerite,
Je pleure alors comme toi.
Comme deux fleurs sur une même tige,
Notre destin suivait le même cours;
De tes chagrins en frère je m'afflige;
Comme une soeur je t'aimerai toujours!
Translation(s): ENG ENG GER GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Marguerite", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , "Marguerite", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Linda Godry) , "Marguerite", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Margarete", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-01-14 17:50:56
Line count: 8
Word count: 49
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the French (Français)
When fortune beckons you to smile,
happy then, I feel a gentle quiver of excitement;
when grief overcomes you, Marguerite,
Then I weep like you.
Like two flowers of the same stalk,
our destiny followed the same course;
brotherlike, I am afflicted with your troubles;
sisterlike, I will hold you dear forever!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2006 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann. Contact:
<BKottmann (AT) t-online.de>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2006-11-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 52