Language: German (Deutsch) after the Greek (Ελληνικά)
Du singest Thebens Kriege,
Und jener Trojas Schlachten,
Ich meine Niederlagen.
Kein Reiterheer, kein Fußvolk
Schlägt mich, und keine Flotte.
Ein andres Heer bekriegt mich --
Aus jenem Augenpaare.
Submitted by Peter Palmer
- a text in Greek (Ελληνικά) possibly by Anacreon (c582BCE - c485BCE) ENG ENG FRE DUT
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe. Go to the text.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages or adaptations:
- Also set in Greek (Ελληνικά), original text by Anacreon (c582BCE - c485BCE) , title 1: "Εις λυραν", from Odes, no. 1 ENG GER FRE DUT by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Franz Seraph Ritter von Bruchmann (1798 - 1867) , title unknown [an adaptation] DUT ENG ITA FRE DUT by P. Mirsch, Franz Peter Schubert.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG ITA FRE DUT by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe.
- Also set in English, a translation by John Berkenhead (1617 - 1679) , title unknown GER FRE DUT by Henry Lawes.
- Also set in Dutch (Nederlands), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG GER FRE by Lodewijk Mortelmans.
Text added to the website: 2010-06-09.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:24
Line count: 7
Word count: 28
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works