Ample make this Bed
Ample make this Bed --
Make this Bed with Awe --
In it wait till Judgment break
Excellent and Fair.
Be its Mattress straight --
Be its Pillow round --
Let no Sunrise' yellow noise
Interrupt this Ground --
Translation(s): FRE GER ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "No sunrise", 1960-70. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Arthur Farwell (1872 - 1952), "Ample make this bed", op. 108 (Ten Emily Dickinson Songs) no. 7. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Daron Aric Hagen (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 1989 [voice and piano], from Love in a Life, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "Ample make this bed", 2000, first performed 2000 [soprano and piano], from How Well I Knew the Light, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Brian Holmes (b. 1946), "Ample make this bed" [soprano, chorus, children's chorus, and orchestra], from Amherst Requiem, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Michael M. Horvit (b. 1932), "Ample make this bed", published 1970 [soprano and piano], from Three Songs of Elegy [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ulysses Simpson Kay (1917 - 1995), "Ample make this bed", published 1964 [SSA chorus and piano], from Emily Dickinson Set [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by David Leisner (b. 1958), "Ample make this Bed", 1986 [voice and piano or guitar], from Confiding, no. 2. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Rendi spazioso questo letto", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Rendi spazioso questo letto
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the English
Rendi spazioso questo letto
preparalo con reverenza e timore;
In esso attendi, finché il giudizio irrompa
Imparziale e solenne.
Sia spianato il materasso,
il cuscino ben riposto;
e che il giallo fragore dell'alba
non disturbi questo posto.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1891 FRE GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Ernst Bacon, Arthur Farwell, Daron Aric Hagen, Jake Heggie, Brian Holmes, Michael M. Horvit, Ulysses Simpson Kay, David Leisner. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-01-04.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:33
Line count: 8
Word count: 37