I hoped that he would love me,
And he has kissed my mouth,
But I am like a stricken bird
That cannot reach the south.
For though I know he loves me,
To-night my heart is sad;
His kiss was not so wonderful
As all the dreams I had.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund , "The kiss", 2007 [mezzo-soprano and piano], from New York Sorrows, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Seymour Barab (1921 - 2014), "The kiss", published 1970 [SSA chorus and piano], from First Person Feminine, no. 7, Boosey and Hawkes [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Agide Jacchia (1875 - 1932), "The kiss", published 1920. [medium voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by John Brodbin Kennedy , "The kiss", published 1972 [SSA chorus a cappella], from The Look, the Kiss, and Joy [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Lori Laitman (b. 1955), "The kiss", 1997-8, first performed 1998 [baritone or mezzo-soprano and piano], from Mystery, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Text added to the website: 2008-02-11.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:36
Line count: 8
Word count: 49
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works