Da voi, cari lumi
Language: Italian (Italiano)
Da voi, cari lumi,
Dipende il mio stato:
Voi siete i miei Numi:
Voi siete il mio fato:
A vostro talento
Mi sento cangiar.
Se lieti splendete;
Se torbidi siete,
Mi fate tremar.
Translation(s): CAT ENG FRE GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 345.
The text appears in Attilio Regolo, atto II, scena V, Aria di Licinio.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Da voi, cari lumi", 1750, first performed 1750. [oboes, strings, bass voice, and continuo] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Niccolo Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Da voi cari lumi", 1752, first performed 1753. [2 trumpets, 2 horns, 2 oboes, alto voice, strings] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Giacomo Meyerbeer (1791 - 1864), "Da voi, cari lumi", from Sei canzonette italiane, no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi (Die Macht der Augen)", op. 83 (Drei Lieder von Metastasio) no. 1, D. 902 no. 1 (1827), published 1827 [bass, piano], second setting; Tobias Haslinger, VN 5061, Wien [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "L'incanto degli occhi", D. 990E (1816?), published 1979 [soprano], first setting; fragment (realized by Reinhard van Hoorickx) [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Thomas Dawkins) , "On you, fair stars", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (David Le Marrec) , "De vous, chers astres", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "Die Macht der Augen"
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-08-30 23:24:48
Line count: 10
Word count: 35
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
De vous, chers astres
Language: French (Français) after the Italian (Italiano)
De vous, chers astres,
dépend mon sort ;
vous êtes mes dieux,
vous êtes mon destin :
à votre aspect
je vais changeant.
Vous m'inspirez courage,
quand vous brillez joyeux ;
quand vous êtes assombris,
vous me faites trembler.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2008 by David Le Marrec, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
David Le Marrec. Contact:
<davidlemarrec (AT) online (DOT) fr>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-02-19 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2017-08-30 23:25:18
Line count: 10
Word count: 39