Language: Italian (Italiano)
Dono del Ciel sì raro,
Quel figlio a te sì caro,
Quello vuol Dio da te.
Vuol che rimanga esangue
Sotto al paterno ciglio;
Vuol che ne sparga il sangue
Chi vita già gli diè.
Translation(s): ENG FRE GER
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 543.
The text appears in "Isacco figura del redentore", parte I, Aria dell' Angelo.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Quell'innocente figlio", D. 17 (1812?), published 1940, 9 composition exercises (during Schubert's studies with Salieri) for 1 to 4 voices without piano (piano part added by Reinhard van Hoorickx) [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "That innocent son", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ce fils innocent", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Dieser unschuldige Sohn", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-12-17 11:58:04
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Dieser unschuldige Sohn
Language: German (Deutsch) after the Italian (Italiano)
Dieser unschuldige Sohn,
solch' seltenes Geschenk des Himmels,
der Sohn, der dir so teuer ist,
ihn fordert Gott von dir.
Er möchte, dass ich schwach bleibe
vor Seinen väterlichen Augen,
er verlangt von mir, das Blut dessen zu vergießen,
dem ich das Leben gegeben habe.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Anmerkung des Übersetzers: Gott prüft Abraham mit der Aufforderung, seinen Sohn Isaak zu opfern.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2008 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann. Contact:
<BKottmann (AT) t-online.de>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-02-27.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:37
Line count: 8
Word count: 45