Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Suse, suse Kindchen, draußen bellt ein Hündchen, hat es nicht so gut wie du, kenne Mutter deckt es zu. Suse, suse Kindchen, draußen läuft das Hündchen, läuft allein in dunkler Nacht, keine Mutter bei ihm wacht. Suse, suse Kindchen, Vater holt das Hündchen, soll nicht bleiben so allein, soll bein unserm Kindchen sein.
- by Albert Sergel (1876 - 1946) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Engelbert Humperdinck (1854 - 1921), "Wiegenliedchen", 1909-10, from Kinderlieder, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
- by Heinrich Kaspar Schmid (1874 - 1953), "Wiegenliedchen", op. 15 no. 11, published 1907/8 [voice and piano], from Ringelreihen: 21 Kinderlieder von Albert Sergel, no. 11, München: Wunderhornverlag [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "Little lullaby", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor]
Susie, sweet child, outside there is a dog barking. He doesn't have it as good as you, he doesn't have a mother protecting him. Susie, sweet child, outside there is a dog running, he is running alone in the dark night, he doesn't have a mother watching over him. Susie, sweet child, Father picks up the dog, he shouldn't stay on his own like that, he should be here with our child.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.