Er, der Herrlichste von allen
Language: German (Deutsch)
Er, der Herrlichste von allen,
Wie so milde, wie so gut!
Holde Lippen, klares Auge,
Heller Sinn und fester Muth.
So wie dort in blauer Tiefe,
Hell und herrlich, jener Stern,
Also er an meinem Himmel,
Hell und herrlich, [hoch]1 und fern.
Wandle, wandle deine Bahnen;
Nur betrachten deinen Schein,
Nur in Demuth ihn betrachten,
Selig [nur]2 und traurig sein!
Höre nicht mein stilles Beten,
Deinem Glücke nur geweiht;
Darfst mich niedre Magd nicht kennen,
Hoher Stern der Herrlichkeit!
Nur die Würdigste von allen
[Soll]3 beglücken deine Wahl,
Und ich will die Hohe segnen,
[Segnen]4 viele tausend Mal.
Will mich freuen dann und weinen,
Selig, selig bin ich dann,
Sollte mir das Herz auch brechen,
Brich, o Herz, was liegt daran.
Translation(s): CHI DAN DUT ENG ENG ENG FRE HEB ITA NOR RUS
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Adelbert von Chamisso, Neunzehnte Auflage (19th edition), Berlin, Weidmannsche Buchhandlung, 1869, page 10.
Note: modernized spelling would change "Muth" to "Mut", and "Demuth" to "Demut"
1 Schumann: "hehr"
2 Loewe: "nun"
3 Schumann: "Darf"
4 omitted by Schumann
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Elizabeth R. Austin (b. 1938), "Er, der Herrlichste von allen", 1999 [mezzo-soprano or soprano and piano], from Frauenliebe und -leben, no. 2. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Franz Paul Lachner (1803 - 1890), "Er, der Herrlichste von allen", 1839. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Er, der Herrlichste von allen", op. 60 no. 2 (1836), from Frauenliebe, Liederkranz von Chamisso, no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Er, der Herrlichste von allen", op. 42 no. 2 (1840), published 1843 [voice and piano], from Frauenliebe und -Leben, no. 2, Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CHI Chinese (汉语 / 漢語) (Mei Foong Ang) , "他, 是最崇高的", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DAN Danish (Dansk) (Maryanna Morthensen) , "Han, den dejligste af alle", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Hij, de heerlijkste van allen", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Daniel Platt) , "He, the most glorious of all", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "He, the best of all", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Lui, le plus glorieux de tous", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) (Tsippora Samberg) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Lui, il più splendido di tutti", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- RUS Russian (Русский) (Natalia Vyshynska) , "Он, прекраснейший из всех", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-09-29T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2015-01-08T12:36:39
Line count: 24
Word count: 121
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
He, the best of all
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
He, the best of all, the noblest, -
O, how gentle, O, how kind.
Lips of sweetness, eyes of brightness,
Brave of heart, and clear of mind.
Down from endless realms of heaven,
Bright and sparkling shines his star,
So he soars now, beyond the others,
Bright and glorious, high and far.
Man of valor meant for glory -
Far behind you I remain.
Here to watch you move in radiance
Thrills my heart with joy and pain.
You won't know my prayers in silence,
For good heaven to guide your way,
For your calling -- I am unworthy,
(2) For this hour -- your greatest day.
Only she, the best the finest -
Could be chosen for your love,
And I would bow in awe and wonder
Relinquish to the power above.
Through my tears I'd still be joyful -
And happy for your lot -
For even though my heart be broken
My heart, it matters not!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Shula Keller, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-03-19T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16T10:02:39
Line count: 24
Word count: 157