Wenn du nur zuweilen lächelst
Language: German (Deutsch) after the Persian (Farsi)
Wenn du nur zuweilen lächelst,
Nur zuweilen Kühle fächelst
Dieser ungemeßnen Glut -
In Geduld will ich mich fassen
Und dich alles treiben lassen,
Was der Liebe wehe tut.
Translation(s): DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wenn du nur zuweilen lächelst", op. 57 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 2 (1871), published 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Si seulement de temps en temps tu souriais", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "If you would only smile now and then", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Se solamente", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , title 1: "If you will just smile occasionally", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-11-05.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:58
Line count: 6
Word count: 29
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Si seulement de temps en temps tu souriais
Language: French (Français) after the German (Deutsch)
Si seulement de temps en temps tu souriais,
Seulement de temps en temps tu soufflais le frais
Sur ma passion démesurée --
Je m'armerais de patience
Et de toi supporterais
Tout ce qui blesse mon amour.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2008 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-04-02.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:39
Line count: 6
Word count: 35