Auf dem Kirchhofe
Language: German (Deutsch)
Der Tag ging regenschwer und sturmbewegt,
Ich war an manch [vergessenem]1 Grab gewesen,
Verwittert Stein und Kreuz, die Kränze alt,
Die Namen überwachsen, kaum zu lesen.
Der Tag ging sturmbewegt und regenschwer,
Auf allen Gräbern fror das Wort: Gewesen.
Wie sturmestot die Särge schlummerten,
Auf allen Gräbern taute still: Genesen.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms: "vergeßnem"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "In the churchyard", copyright ©
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Op het kerkhof", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , title 1: "Al cimitero", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Au cimetière", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:39
Line count: 8
Word count: 50
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Il giorno passò greve di pioggia e sconvolto dallla tempesta,
io sono stato su alcune tombe dimenticate,
rovinate pietre e croci, le corone vecchie,
i nomi ricoperti di piante, da leggere a stento.
Il giorno passò sconvolto dallla tempesta e greve di pioggia,
su tutte le tombe gelava la parola: "passato".
Come morte alla tempesta dormivano le bare,
su tutte le tombe si scioglieva serena la parola "risanato".
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-04-11 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:40
Line count: 8
Word count: 68