Wie Melodien zieht es
Language: German (Deutsch)
Wie Melodien zieht es
Mir leise durch den Sinn,
Wie Frühlingsblumen blüht es,
Und schwebt wie Duft dahin.
Doch kommt das Wort und faßt es
Und führt es vor das Aug',
Wie Nebelgrau erblaßt es
Und schwindet wie ein Hauch.
Und dennoch ruht im Reime
Verborgen wohl ein Duft,
Den mild aus stillem Keime
Ein feuchtes Auge ruft.
Translation(s): DUT ENG ENG ENG FRE IRI ITA SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Klaus Groth's Gesammelte Werke. Vierter Band. Plattdeutsche Erzählungen - Hochdeutsche Gedichte, Kiel und Leipzig, Verlag von Lipsius & Tischer, 1893, page 177.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Stephen Jackson) , title 1: "Se mueve como una melodía", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "It moves like a melody", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Come una melodia", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , title 1: "Just like a melody", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Comme des mélodies", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Als melodieën gloeit het", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Leonard Lehrman) , title 1: "Like melodies", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Mar cheolta sí ag teacht chugam", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-02-08 16:51:33
Line count: 12
Word count: 58
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Just like a melody
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Just like a melody to draw me
So gently through my mind
As flowers in the Springtime
As fragrance floating by - (2)
But when imprisoned in the poem
That rests before my eyes,
To misty gray it fa-des
Like vapor from my breath (2)
And still, aroma from my verses
Will linger in the buds
Then softly come unbound
All myst'ries to unfold -- so softly 'fore my eyes, unfold (2).
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Shula Keller, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2008-05-25.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:43
Line count: 12
Word count: 71