So regnet es sich langsam ein
Language: German (Deutsch)
So regnet es sich langsam ein
und immer kürzer wird der Tag
und immer seltener der Sonnenschein.
Ich sah am Waldrand gestern ein paar Rosen stehn...
gib mir die Hand und komm...
wir wollen sie [uns]1 pflücken gehn...
Es werden wohl die letzten sein!
Translation(s): ENG ENG FRE SWE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 omitted by Berg.
Submitted by Virginia Knight
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", 1906 [voice and piano], from Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 60. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by José Berr (1874 - 1947), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", published 1911. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Pauline von Erdmannsdörfer-Fichtner, née Oprawill (1847 - 1916), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", published 1911 [voice and piano], München: Lewy [ sung text not verified ]
- by Alexander von Fielitz (1860 - 1930), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", op. 73 (Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 5, published 1900 [voice and piano], Magdeburg, Heinrichshofen Verlag [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hans Gál (1890 - 1987), "Regenlied", op. 25 no. 3 (1912-25), published 1926, first performed 1927 [SSAA chorus a cappella], from Herbstlieder, no. 3, N. Simrock, Berlin [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", op. 2 (Neun Lieder) no. 7, published 1917. [medium voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Selim Palmgren (1878 - 1951), "Herbst", op. 20 (Tre sånger) no. 2. [voice and piano], also set in Swedish (Svenska) [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Margarete Voigt-Schweikert (1887 - 1957), "So regnet es sich langsam ein" [voice and piano], unpublished [ sung text not verified ]
- by Erich Zeisl (1905 - 1959), "So regnet es sich langsam ein", 1927 [baritone and piano], from Liedercyklus, no. 5, also set in English [ sung text not verified ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist FRE SWE by Erich Zeisl.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG FRE ENG by Selim Palmgren.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Walter A. Aue) , "Thus slowly starts the season's rain", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:28
Line count: 7
Word count: 44
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Thus slowly starts the season's rain
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Thus slowly starts the season's rain,
and ever shorter grows the day
and ever rarer does the sun remain.
Last night I saw some roses, red near forest's gray...
give me your hand and come...
we'll pick them on our way...
they'll be the last ones we obtain!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue. Contact:
<waue (AT) dal (DOT) ca>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Cäsar (Otto Hugo) Flaischlen (1864 - 1920), no title, written 1894-7, appears in Von Alltag und Sonne, in Mönchguter Skizzenbuch, first published 1921 FRE SWE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Alban Maria Johannes Berg, José Berr, Pauline von Erdmannsdörfer-Fichtner, Alexander von Fielitz, Hans Gál, Sándor Jemnitz, Selim Palmgren, Margarete Voigt-Schweikert, Erich Zeisl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-06-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:43
Line count: 7
Word count: 48