Language: German (Deutsch)
Fern und ferner schallt der Reigen.
Wohl mir! um mich her ist Schweigen
Auf der Flur.
Zu dem vollen Herzen nur
Will nicht Ruh' sich neigen.
Horch! die Nacht schwebt durch die Räume.
Ihr Gewand durchrauscht die Bäume
Ach, so schweifen liebeheiß
Meine Wünsch' und Träume.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Longing", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nostalgie", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Hunkering", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 10
Word count: 48
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The sounds of the dance fade farther and farther away.
It is well for me that around me there is silence
on the meadow.
Only to my full heart
peace does not want to come.
Listen! Night is wafting through the spaces.
[Night's] garments rustle through the trees,
Ah, that is exactly how my wishes and dreams,
Burning with love, roam about.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Gustav Droysen (1808 - 1884) DUT FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (misattributed), Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-06-25.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:45
Line count: 10
Word count: 64